Can You Caulk Over Grout: Here Is All You Need To Know
Over my many years in the business, one question that I have heard a lot of times is – can you caulk over grout or is it possible to caulk over a grout? Well, of course, we can. Then the question arises, do we have to?
Should You Caulk Over Grout?
There are two important parts of this answer. Yes, you can caulk over grout as we already stated above. But, should you?
Let’s first understand what actually is meant by caulk and grout.
A caulk is nothing but a mixture of latex and silicone in definite proportions and is used to create bonding between an array of material like ceramic, metal, wood and glass.
So as it goes, you should not caulk over grout. This is because it degrades quickly. However, caulking over grouting is a far cheaper and easier process, and this is the reason why it is so widely preferred. In order to make a well-informed decision, here are a few pointers which would help you in determining correctly as to when should you caulk and when should you grout.
When Should Caulking Be Used
- Caulk is used for waterproofing the joints and is commonly used at places which remain wet like showers, windows, bath tubs and the likes
- Use caulk when you need to establish a strong bond between tile surfaces
- Caulk can adhere perfectly even on two different surfaces
- Caulk, however, can shrink out. This is the reason why you should not use it on larger installations as a substitute to grout
When Should Grouting Be Used
- Unlike caulk, grout is used to establish a strong bond between two joints on the same plane
- If the space is small, unsanded grout should be used. However, if it is large, sanded grout should be used
- Grout can be used to prevent the chipping and cracking of tiles’edges
Now that we have talked about the respective needs of caulking and grouting, it would be clear by now that you should not caulk over grout. However, if the need arises, here is a quick procedure for you to adopt:
How To Caulk Over Grout
Things You Will Need
- An old toothbrush
- Caulk tube
- Caulking gun
Just the same toothbrush, which we use regularly to brush our teeth in the morning.
Bleach is used for cleaning purposes
This would serve as a waterproof sealant
Caulking gun is a tool to caulk tube
Caulk Over Grout Process
Below is the video tutorial:
That said, you can easily caulk over grout. All you need to do is follow the above-mentioned tutorial. We hope that the tutorial was easy to follow. However, if you have any queries, do let us know in the comments.